Conveniently located in Cabin John Regional Park, Locust Grove Nature Center provides a natural sanctuary from the surrounding urban bustle. While designated the outreach center for area schools, Locust Grove continues to offer quality public programs for all ages. From story time under the giant Sycamore to adult Friday Forays around the County, the programs will delight and inform visitors of all ages. You’re also welcome to come and wander the trails, enjoy the observation deck, explore the exhibits indoors and out, or discover the wonder of the Center’s natural playground.
Cabin John Regional Park
Cabin John Regional Park is one of Montgomery County’s biggest and best combinations of nature, sports and recreation. The park encompasses athletic fields, including the beautiful Shirley Povich Field; a full-service ice-skating rink; indoor and outdoor tennis courts; and many picnic areas, trails and camp sites. Kids of all ages can enjoy summer ball games and the miniature train that runs through the park. Many of the facilities are wheelchair accessible. From nature programs and hiking to playgrounds, sports and baseball – Cabin John has something for everyone.
Indoor Exhibits: Oak Tree Exhibit, Wildlife Observation Area, Live Animals
Outdoor Exhibits: Wildlife Observation Area, Naturalist Garden, Betsy Dotson Memorial Garden, Nature Exploration Area
Do you wish to make a donation to directly benefit Locust Grove Nature Center? Click here!
Have fun, contribute to your community and learn about nature while volunteering at Locust Grove Nature Center. Volunteer opportunities include:
- – Camp Counselor: Do you like working with children? Help at the summer nature camps, held in June, July and August. Apply early!
- – Nature Center Hostess or Host: Do you enjoy working with the public? Help nature center visitors by providing basic information on the programs and trails.
- – Animal Care: Do you like working with animals? Help feed the birds and other wildlife or help care for the exhibit animals. Openings currently available for flying squirrel feeders!
- – Special Events: Would you like to volunteer occasionally? Help at the October Nocturnal Neighbors Festival and other special events
- – Invasive Plant Removal: HELP! Invasive plants are taking over our parks — Locust Grove needs your help removing them from trails around the nature center.
Click here for more details.
Locust Grove Nature Center, 7777 Democracy Boulevard, Bethesda, Maryland 20817
Hours: Saturday 9 am – 5pm, Sunday 1 pm – 5 pm
For more information, check out Brookside Nature Center’s website: http://www.montgomeryparks.org/nature_centers/locust/
Like Brookside Nature Center on Facebook!